How to check your tyre pressure
Maintaining correct inflation pressure is essential and avoids premature or uneven wear. As tyres naturally lose pressure over time, you need to refill them regularly.
Driving on the correct tyre pressure will extend the life of your tyre, improve vehicle safety and maintain fuel efficiency.
Check your tyre pressure at least once a month, when your tyres are cold, and before long journeys.
Follow our step-by-step advice on checking your pressures:
- Find the correct pressures in your vehicle handbook or inside the driverâ€™s door or fuel cap (this will be a figure in psi or bar).
- Unscrew the plastic cap on the air valve.
- Press the tyre-pressure gauge against the valve and hold it down firmly. If you hear a hissing noise, you are letting air out. Press down harder.
- Read the measurement on the gauge.
- To add air, pump gauge until correct pressure is shown. To deflate, depress the tyre valve.